The Importance of Social Media in SEO
The following guest blog was written by MediaSesh, a Denver SEO company.
There are many reasons why your business should be using social media, which includes increasing online visibility, building meaningful relationships with followers, and positioning your business as a thought leader in your industry. But did you know that social media can also help search engine optimization (SEO)? A great social media presence can help SEO to be more productive and profitable for your business.
Why Social Media Is Important in SEO
1. Social media is a great way to promote your optimized content. Promoting content on social media is one way to help build a network of followers, but it could also help with SEO efforts if those followers begin to share your content with their networks, it increases the number of links pointing back to your website, which (depending on who you ask) could help influence your website’s page rank.
2. Social media can identify content opportunities for SEO. The great part about social media is that it allows you to see who your followers are and what they’re interested in. If followers leave comments, ask questions and request information, this could be a great opportunity to create and promote a well-optimized article.
3. Social media is another way to monitor and protect online reputation. SEO and online reputation often go hand-in-hand. With social media, this offers one way to monitor what others are saying about you online. We all know that the reputation of your brand is incredibly important, but if you’re not keeping a keen eye on how others are talking about you, you are potentially leaving your reputation (both good and bad) in the hands of others.
4. Social media platforms can be listed in search results. Social platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, tend to rank well in Google search results and is a good way for you to own more of that search engine real estate. This is also one way to help control online reputation and displace any negative listings that are appearing for your brand on Google. For this reason, it’s a good idea to try to own as many listings as you can when someone types your company’s name in Google and social media platforms can help do that.
Tips to Using Social Media with SEO in Mind
1. Own your brand name on all social media channels. Even if you decide not to utilize social media, we highly recommend that you at least have a business profile on all the top social networks. That way no one else can take it and imitate you. You might also change your mind down the road, and you could rest easy knowing you own it. And even if you don’t populate content on your social profiles, they can still rank in Google.
2. Produce great content, every time. Just like with SEO, your social media campaign should include high-quality content that is valuable and interesting. This will help you to organically receive backlinks to your website and bond with potential customers. It’s also an easy way to show off your content. You can also upload optimized images and videos, which are popular and effective ways to link back to articles.
3. Make your content easy to share. You can and should motivate your followers to want to share your content. Why? This will help further promote your brand and get more backlinks. One way to do this would be to add social share buttons on your website. That way, if visitors are reading from your website and would like to share your content, they could do so quickly.
4. Optimize, optimize, optimize. Just like your website, optimization is a crucial component of social media marketing. You want to maximize your social profiles and images. Use the right keywords and the right language. Include pictures and videos to spark an interest. And, include keywords in the file name and the alt text of your images.
5. Measure your performance. Know what your goals are, then measure how well you are doing. Measuring, tracking, and analyzing helps you understand what is and isn’t working when it comes to your social media presence. This could also show you how your social media and SEO efforts are working and helping together.
It should also be said that SEO and social media are always evolving. Businesses that use experts in the field often see better results than companies that try to do it on their own. If you like what you read and you’re interested in learning more about how to make the most of your social media and SEO campaigns, let’s chat!
MediaSesh is a Denver-based SEO firm that provides businesses the tools and resources needed to optimize their online presence. Led by Christina Brodzky, MediaSesh has over 10 years of SEO experience and a proven track record of helping businesses improve their online visibility. Get social and connect with MediaSesh on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.